2021 Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Resources
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. A rather broad term, Asian Pacific encompasses all of the Asian continent and the Pacific islands of Melanesia (New Guinea, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji and the Solomon Islands), Micronesia (Marianas, Guam, Wake Island, Palau, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Nauru and the Federated States of Micronesia) and Polynesia (New Zealand, Hawaiian Islands, Rotuma, Midway Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Cook Islands, French Polynesia and Easter Island).
The month of May was chosen to commemorate the immigration of the first Japanese to the United States on May 7, 1843, and to mark the anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad on May 10, 1869. The majority of the workers who laid the tracks were Chinese immigrants. Read more about AAPIHM here - https://asianpacificheritage.gov/
The Asian Chamber of Commerce Houston has put together a list of useful resources related to AAPIHM, where you can access information, data, statistics and register for AAPIHM-related events.
- Small Business Association Celebrates AAPIHM - Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month 2021 (sba.gov)
- Barnes & Nobles Recommended Books to Read during AAPIHM - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/books-to-celebrate-asian-american-and-pacific-islander-heritage-month/
- White House AAPIHM Proclamation 2021 - A Proclamation on Asian American and Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander Heritage Month, 2021 | The White House
- U.S. Census Bureau Fun Facts - Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Fun Facts (census.gov)
- Asia Society 31 Ways to Celebrate APAHM in May and Beyond - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month 2021 | Asia Society
- Guides to commemorative observations compiled by The Law Library of Congress - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/commemorative-observations/asian.php
- U.S. Census Bureau – Asian Population Figures - Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month: May 2021 (census.gov)
- U.S. Census Bureau – Asian American: American Community Survey Reports - https://www.census.gov/about/partners/cic/resources/data-links/asian/acs.html
- White House Initiative on Asian American and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI) - https://www.commerce.gov/whiaapi
- U.S. Department of Education - Ways to Enrich Kids’ Appreciation of Asian-Pacific American Culture - May Is Asian-Pacific Heritage Month: 12 Ways to Enrich Kids’ Appreciation of Asian-Pacific American Culture (ed.gov)
- Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) is a national non-partisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting Asian Pacific American participation and representation at all levels of the political process, from community service to elected office. - https://apaics.org/about/mission/
- Directory of Asian American Organizations in Texas - http://www.awib.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.viewPage&pageId=816&parentID=473&nodeID=1#Texas
- Diversity Best Practices is a division of Working Mother Media that offers a platform for mid to large size organizational diversity thought leaders to share best practices and develop innovative solutions for culture change - https://www.diversitybestpractices.com/about-diversity-best-practices
- Pew Research Center Articles on the U.S. Asian Population - https://www.pewresearch.org/topics/asian-americans/
- Center for American Progress Articles on Race and Ethnicity - https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/view/
- Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy (AAPIP) is a national membership organization dedicated to expanding and mobilizing philanthropic and community resources for underserved AAPI communities to build a more just and equitable society. - https://aapip.org/who-we-are
- Asian American Bar Association of Houston was founded in 1984. The voluntary organization connects attorneys, judges, and law students of Asian heritage or who have Asian American interests. - AABA of Houston - Calendar of Events (aabahouston.com)
- National Parks Service - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month - NPS Celebrates! (U.S. National Park Service)
- AIGA Houston - Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month | Houston (aiga.org)
Upcoming Events related to Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
Celebrate and Stop the Hate! At Social Beer Garden HTX - May 1st - https://www.facebook.com/events/800412610584550 (CANCELLED)
National ACE and OCA Chicago - Food Reimagined: Driving Innovation in the Restaurant Industry — National ACE
#AAPISTRONG Heritage Month Business Summit - #AAPISTRONG Heritage Month Business Summit — Small Business Recovery Resource Center (acesmallbusiness.org)
Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy (AAPIP) - https://aapip.org/events
Far East Deep South Screening on PBS (TV Ch 8) at 7pm CT.
Diversity Best Practices AAPIHM Special Webinar - https://www.diversitybestpractices.com/asian-pacific-american-heritage-month-2021
Asia Society Texas Standing Against Racism in the Time of COVID: A Conversation on Activism | Asia Society
Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) Legislative Leadership Summit - Legislative Leadership Summit | APAICS
Houston Public Media - Houston Public Media Celebrates Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month – Houston Public Media
HFC AVENIDA PROGRAMMING
Fashion, Market, Food
Saturday, May 22, 5 – 8:30 pm
Fashion Show at 7:00 PM
- Join us on the Avenida in celebrating and supporting Houston's vibrant Asian American and Pacific Islander communities during an evening of performances along with a fashion show and outdoor market. Houston-based designers Poshak Fashion & Style, Danny Nguyen Couture, Kimono Zulu - Vintage Kimonos Reimagined and Mysterious by NPN showcase fashions inspired by centuries of Asian design on The Wharf runway.
- Throughout the show traditional and contemporary dance and music immerse visitors in the sights and sounds from cultures across Asia.
- A market featuring Houston AAPI-owned business, artisans and chefs will welcome visitors in celebrating our shared communities.
- Website: AAPI Amplified | Festivals Events in Houston , TX 77010 (visithoustontexas.com)
OCA - Events List — OCA National
The Library of Congress - https://www.loc.gov/events